Sunday, May 20, 2012

New Year, New Location: Eastern New York


The 2012 fishing season has been a complete change of pace for me. While I grew up on trout and lake fishing since moving my fishing is now dominated by rivers bigger and deeper than the lakes of my past.

My year started off like every other year, fishing for trout. Opening day, even on this side of the state was its usual wet, rainy self. The difference here from home was the stream. We started off fishing the Kinderhook Creek. More of a small river than creeks I'm accustom to, the Kinderhook is located about 35 minutes outside of Albany on absolutely beautiful setting. After talking to a DEC biologist in the field we began the bridge and worked north. After getting a late start we fished for about 3 hours, but to no avail.

Since that time my year has been dominated by the focal feature of my new surroundings, the Hudson River. Initial exploration led to the marina in Coyeman. Based on knowledge take from locals, and internet finds we’ve built our fishing on a local favorite, herring. At the Coyeman marina, Bill, Justin and I have racked up a strong showing of catfish. This has been an overwhelming theme on the Hudson, with catfish being easy pray throughout our travels. The catfish typically bite chunked herring and can be caught with a heavy wait keeping the bait close to the river bottom.  Herring are plentiful along the river and can be hooked regularly through the use of a Sabiki rig, bought for $1 at most sporting goods stores.

Our quest then moved us north to the Troy dam. Along the dam our catfish output has thankfully decreased. Using chunked and whole herring Bill has successfully caught his first striped bass. This has morphed into a relentless pursuit which has occupied most weeknights and nearly every weekend.

Most recently our excursions have led us to two new locations. The first being Rhinebeck, fished in conjunction with a successful turkey hunt, which yielded another new species for me, the American eel. Eels too prefer chunked herring, left to sit on the river bottom or near to it. Finally, to New Baltimore, continuing to produce catfish and eels, but yet to offer any stripers.




All this is not to say I’ve given up my past of lake fishing. Since moving to Albany I continue to fish Partridge Run lakes on a regular basis. After a recent outing, complete with a stringer of perch, a delicious meal of fried perch and venison steaks was had by all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment