Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Night Out (Original Post Date: May 27, 2010


It's 1:30pm: I'm driving around Buffalo. Dad's alarm on his car is broken so I'm given the task of taking the Smart car to the dealership to be fixed. That however, is just fine with me because it means a chance to swing by The Oak Orchard Fly Shop, in Williamsville, NY, (http://oakorchardflyshop.com/) and Gander Mountain, in Tonawanda, NY (http://www.gandermountain.com/) to pick up a few things. My phone buzzes and Josh wants to know if I'm up for some night fishing. I answer back "Of course!" I'm always up for late night fishing on such a beautiful day. We make plans to meet up around 8:30 tonight. Gander Mountain has fishing lures on sale for half price so a I grab a few, toss them in the passenger's seat next to me, and head for home.

It's 7:30pm: As I load up my car I have a terrible realization, I'm out of dough ball sized hooks. I put the rest of my tackle box in the car and run to Wal-Mart. I pick up half a dozen number 4 size hooks and head for Josh's.

It's 9:30pm: Josh and I have just arrived at the Quaker outflow. There is already someone on the south side of the outflow so we take the north. Our weapons of choice: hot dogs, dough, and Spam (of course we forgot the Spam in the car). Through out our various high school and college fishing days none of these have ever failed us on night fishing adventure. If we'd have had chicken scraps lying around they'd be included too but I haven't eaten at home enough and Josh forgot to call Reid's. Within the first hour Josh lands a fairly good sized Carp. I get a good bite but fail to set the hook in time. The man across the way has had no success.

It's 11:30pm: We move on to the Quaker inflow. There's little luck but its nice just to be able to plop down in a chair and throw a line out. However, rather quickly the bugs begin to get bad and the fish aren't biting. We pack everything back into Josh's Jeep and head for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment